Top 5 attention-grabbing communication tips
Connecting with your ideal clients isn’t always as straightforward as you’d like it to be. The following communication tips will help you craft your message so it’s more likely to attract the attention of those elusive prospective customers!
Tip 1: Know your target customers
How do we get to know people? We ask questions – and REALLY listen to their answers. Find out as much as you can about exactly who your ideal customers are. Get to know their age, gender, marital status, spending habits, likes and dislikes, etc.
- What keeps them awake at night? Identify their problem/s
- How can you tap into their problem and offer a solution?
- What motivates them to buy?
Tip 2: Know where to find your prospects
It’s important to know where your ideal customers hang out. If you send your message on the wrong channel, they’ll miss it and you’ll be disappointed that you’ve wasted valuable time and money investing in the wrong marketing. Take the time to get to know …
- Where do your customers look for information?
- Which social media channels are they active on?
- How do they prefer to receive communication from you? Is it email, text message, newsletters, social media posts, etc.
Tip 3: Understand some people need nurturing before they buy
Not all your ideal customers will be ready to buy the first time they hear your marketing message. In fact, most people won’t buy when they first hear about your business. This is why it’s important to be persistent and consistent with our marketing messages.
One of the most important, and often overlooked, communication tips is that we need to build the “know, like and trust factor” first. This is where social media can be particularly useful.
- Thanks to social media and email marketing, we can connect with prospects more effectively and frequently
- Tap into these resources to form a connection with your prospects
- Be aware of the Rule of 7 – where prospects need to see/hear your message at least 7 times before they commit to buying from you
Tip 4: Give them a reason to connect with you
Do you like being “sold to”? Most people don’t, so why would you do it to your customers? You need to give them a good reason to connect with you. Your message also needs to be tailored and clearly expressed to capture their attention.
- Share useful content and relevant information
- Invite them to join your community – everyone loves to belong
- Offer loyalty discounts or special offers to your community members
- Offer them a bonus if they introduce a friend or family member
Tip 5: Connect, don’t sell!
You will only build a strong connection with your customers by adding value, not through selling to them. It’s important to provide information which helps them in some way, but at the same time, it can allow them to understand more about your business and why you’re the best choice for your product or service.
- Craft stories that evoke an emotional connection with your brand
- Share client success stories – everyone loves good news
- Use videos of you, your team and your customers
- Illustrate your expertise and that of your team
- Remember it’s SOCIAL media – share, don’t be pushy or hard sell
- Build your profile as an industry expert
If you successfully adopt these communication tips, there’s no need to sell. Your ideal customers will be lining up to buy from you!
Hi, I’m Lyndall Guinery-Smith, business owner and chief word wrangler at The Professional Writer. My team and I write content dedicated to attracting and engaging your ideal clients … and improving your bottom line. This includes website content, capability statements, company profiles, team bios, business award nominations, blog post packages and more. We happily work with clients all over Australia. Email us to arrange an obligation-free discussion about your latest project.