5 ways your stories can get people to buy more
Many small business owners would like to get customers to buy more products or services … and buy them more often. But do we know why people buy in the first place?
According to John Jantsch from Duct Tape Marketing, ‘People buy on emotion and then rationalise their purchase with facts.’
When promoting themselves, what most businesses focus on is the facts. What we really need to do is tap into that emotion, to form a connection with that person and get to know our ideal customer. Stories can help do this.
Following are 5 ways we can use stories to shape our brand and make an emotional connection:
- Stories help to simplify and explain – Stories are a great way to explain how your product or service works or how it can be used. This is especially helpful for complex issues. Video stories can be very useful here;
- Stories help customers relate – Success stories and case studies about how a customer used your product or service to solve a particular problem can help others to relate and connect. People like to copy other people’s success;
- Stories paint a picture of why you do what you do – Stories can help customers understand your passion for your business, and explain a little more about you as an individual. People relate to other people rather than a company and they like to deal with the person behind the business;
- Use stories to build trust and authority – Stories and in particular, testimonials, help establish trust and can demonstrate how you/your business is an authority in your particular area;
- Stories give people something to repeat – Stories assist happy customers to spread that all-important word-of-mouth and to give referrals. However, your story must be powerful enough to resonate with the customer in order for them to repeat it.
Once you’ve made that emotional connection, you’re well on the way to getting your customers to buy more from you.
What’s your story? If you’re looking for some help to get your story heard, email me – I’ll be happy to help!
Lyndall Guinery-Smith is The Professional Writer. She loves to write copy dedicated to attracting and engaging your customers, and improving your bottom line.
She happily works with clients all round Australia, and loves to personally visit clients in the Northern New South Wales/Southern Gold Coast area. Email her to arrange an obligation-free discussion about your latest project.